Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Use of Journals

Last weekend I had a short talk with my good friend Jayson Oldham, a pastor at Ladner Baptist Church, about his interest in the writings of Dallas Willard. His reason for it was that Jayson feels that spiritual disciplines are an important habit that many people today lack. I found this an interesting thought. I do not really keep a journal, nor to I engage in many of these disciplines. However, while travelling in Europe this summer, I kept a diary in which I wrote about my experiences and what I was thinking at the time. This morning I was reviewing some of my entries and found one where I just mentioned some of the things I felt God had been teaching me. To be able to look back a few months and see what God had been teaching me allowed me to reflect on where I'd come from since then. Reflection like that is what makes sure lessons learned are not lost. Maybe it is something I should do more.

No comments: