Monday, June 23, 2008

Two More Countries Down

I received an email today from my dealry beloved parents asking where in the world I am. I think it is time to provide some answers.
 
I am currently sitting in a 7-11 in Stockholm, Sweden. It has been a good time here. Yesterday we went to see the Vasa. I believe it has to be one of the world's best kept secrets when it comes to museums. For those who don't know, the Vasa was a war ship, completed in 1628 and it was to be the most fearsome ship in the world. Sadly it wasn't designed too well and sank thirty minutes into its maiden voyage. The thing is though, it sank in Stockholm harbour, where the mud and low salt content of the water meant it was kept quite well preserved. They found it again in the '50s and then spent the '60s and '70s raising and restoring it. It is a very impressive site now. The ship sits in its own museum and is mostly original. Even parts of the original sail were preserved. I have never seen anything like it before. You see pictures of ships like it in books, but I never thought there was a real living example of one anywhere. Later today we are off to the Nobel Museum.
 
Before this we were in Copenhagen. It was actually a nice rest stop for us. We did a walk around the city and visited the palace, but other than that we just recovered. Thanks to a friend of a friend type thing we had an apartment in the city all to ourselves. It was just what we needed.
 
Tomorrow night we hope to take a night train to Berlin to start a new adventure. Stay tuned...

No comments: