Tuesday, June 3, 2008

London

Two days in and so far the trip has not disappointed. We are staying with a highschool friend of Brian's in Stratford (right by the police station so all is good). We spent yesterday walking around and ignoring our jet-lag. We did the whole tourist thing and visited the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Downing Street, Buckingham Palace (saw the changing of the guard), Trafalgar Square, the Tower of London and a bunch of other stuff along the way. Despite still trying to remember which way to look when crossing the road we only really had one close encounter.

Today we went with our host, Kat, around Soho and then up to Camden. Camden was an interesting place to see. I had always wondered where people who dress like "that" get their clothes. If anyone I know is ever in need of fishnet tights attached to fluorescent tutus I will know where to send them. In the evening we went to watch King Lear at The Globe. It was the full experience. We paid 5 pounds and stood in the yard... in the rain (by the way, my new Columbia jacket is awesome). Brian and Kyle are currently in the market for more waterproof garments.

One thing we've learned so far is that Translink is cheap, even though I still think it could be cheaper.

Tomorrow we will probably go tour the Tate Modern and then enjoy some Fish and Chips. After that we will jump on a bus and nine hours later get off in Edinburgh. Should be good. Stay tuned...

5 comments:

Matt Lam said...

I assume you are using an Oyster card for public transit while in London -- it was possibly my favourite system for paying for transit (next to Hong Kong's Octopus card, which the London system is based on)! Sounds like you're having fun so far -- keep up the posting!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're getting some culture.....King Lear, the Tate Modern.....fish and chips. Enjoy the long English bus ride!

Tim said...

Thanks for reading! To answer the questions, I am staying in Stratford. I do like the Oyster card system, but still prefer the UPass.

Anonymous said...

Yay!! Camden market is pretty much my favourite part of London. I go there every time I'm in London to scoop out the cool stuff. That was my first impression when I discovered it. So THIS is the place!

Hope you have fun in Edinbrough. It's pretty.

-Nina

morgatron said...

tower of london!!

woo wooo