Friday, May 16, 2008

Thoughts on Utah

This is actually now my third trip to the state of Utah but this time I've had some time to sit down and think a bit. Firstly, Utah is culturally a different place. It has its own heritage, history and values which, as most people know, are influenced by the Church of Latter Day Saints.

The first think that has struck me around here is the age of families. I had my hair cut and the hairdresser told me she was planning on waiting until she was twenty five to get married, but she only made it to nineteen. She is not the exception. I walk out of my parents' house in the morning and see guys my age, walking out of houses the own, and loading several kids into the car. There is not necessarily anything wrong with this, in fact I find it refreshing to see such respect for the institution of marriage, but it has really made me think about my life. I am happy with my life. I am not ready to have kids. Good for them.

The second thing which has struck me is what driving is like. People around here are really nice. They are pleasant and helpful, but put some of the behind the wheel and it is a different story. Some places I have been (and maybe where I live...) have unskilled drivers, but drivers here are mean. I do not want to stereotype, but the average meanes is definitely higher. Add this to left turn only lanes with no markers (you are supposed to know what they are based on the fact that they don't line up with a lane across the intersection) and the fact that streets within the same town centre can have speed limits 30 mph apart, and driving here can be an experience. If you don't believe me, check out the Utah Driver's Handbook where it actually says "being courteous won't kill you". I do want to add that I do not consider myself a perfect driver and would be open to hearing what Utahans think of me...

I have one more (hot) week in this place, then back to Vancouver for a week, then on to Europe. Stay tuned.

No comments: